Friday 29 July 2016

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Fight Club
from goodreads
3 stars

This weekend is the long weekend, which means we are half way through our summer. It is kind of hard to believe. I had such plans and I don't think I have done any of them. But, since I have a newborn I guess I can give myself a bit of slack. It is hard to create a magical summer for your kids when you are sleep deprived and barely able to get out of bed in the morning. Next summer can be the magical one.

Synopsis

The protagonist is just going through the motions of life. When he meets Tyler everything changes as they create the Fight Club.

My Thoughts

I knew a bit about the story going into this read. I have not watched the movie but I knew about the ending. Because of this knowledge I read looking for clues and hints that showed the ending.

This is not a typical book I would pick up. I don't really like senseless violence or living in the confusing crazy world of others. I found this book very hard to rate as somethings were fantastic but in the end I just didn't like it.

The author did a superb job showing the confusion and agitation of someone going through an identity crises as well as showing the brutality people can inflict on others. He was able to craft a unique story in a unique way and it worked. I liked how he left the ending open. Things weren't wrapped up neatly. There were still some questions, but, again, this worked.

I also liked how they made soap. I found that intriguing and a bit out there but a neat side story. How else were they to fund everything?

I just really don't like senseless violence. The idea of violence for fun is repugnant to me. The whole vigilante thing was really disgusting. All the things that they did and the manipulation they used bothered me and I did not enjoy reading it. All these things combined made the story feel hopeless as there seemed to be no way out. No way to change.

I also found the story to confusing at times and repetitive. This was most likely to show the mind space of the character, which is fine, but as the reader it grates on you.

All in all this is not a book I would read again and I am not going to look for any that are similar or in that genre. One was enough for me. The chaos in the book just didn't do it for me in as a reader. I did appreciate how the author showed his characters state of mind. I did appreciate the writing, just the subject matter was not something I would gravitate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment