Thursday 28 January 2016

I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short

I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend
from goodreads
4 stars

The older I get the more I am realizing, compared to most of the world, I am a bit of a prude. Like, I don't want to see unnecessary nudity, I don't want to hear unnecessary profanity, and crude humour doesn't really do it for me. It is a bit different when it comes to reading. I am pretty open to most things. Though, I doubt I will ever read erotica and if there is swearing, I hope it is done purposefully and inline with the character, not just because an author is trying to be poignant.

Now, I like to laugh as much as the next person, but what is it with comedians who have to say the f word every two words. Can't you get your point across and be funny and relevant without doing that? I guess that is why I like Jim Gaffigan so much. He is so funny, he is preaching to the choir with most of the things he says, but he isn't swearing the whole time. It is so nice! So here is hoping that more people will catch onto the fact that you don't have to swear so much to be liked or be funny. Or at least here is hoping Jim Gaffigan and others like him make lots of material so I can be entertained for years to come.

Synopsis

Martin Short gives us a look inside his childhood, early years as an actor and the love of his life.

My Thoughts

I must say, I love Martin Short! I mostly love him as a person, not so much the characters he created. Though I loved the Three Amigos. His character was my favourite. I probably wouldn't have rated the book as highly as I did if I didn't love him so much.

One weird thing about me is I love reading things about celebrities and watching interviews about celebrities. Mostly I love it because I like learning tidbits of trivia that I can later use to show my awesomeness in knowledge. If only I could figure out how to monetize all my useless information that I have stored. Jeopardy is probably not an option. Anyway, because I like learning things about celebrities, this book was right up my alley.

This is a book that you will laugh at and cry at. My favourite story was the one about the cat. It had tears streaming down my face. There was quite a bit of name dropping, but I didn't find it super obnoxious. You could tell the celebrities he was talking about, such as Tom Hanks and Steve Martin, were truly his friends and he was close to them. So, he may have dropped some A list names but it was not done without a purpose, it was done because they are people he has a true meaningful relationship with.

I think what made me love this book the most was how he talked about his relationship with his wife, Nancy. It was the common thread throughout. They encouraged each other, comforted each other, and weren't afraid to tell each other how it really is. Their relationship really was a team effort with give and take on both ends. That is so refreshing to see and have as a model. I'm not saying their relationship was perfect, and he isn't either, but it was real and not some weird perfection fantasy which I think too many people are trying to have these days. Their relationship seemed happy, and not in a manic way. They seemed to have genuine joy with each other. I think that is why everyone felt so said when they heard she died. They were each others other half.

I also liked the 9 categories of life that Short reflects on to help him determine how balanced (or successful) his life is. The 9 categories are self, immediate family, original family, friends, money, career, creativity, discipline, lifestyle. He makes some good points. That is definitely a must read section.

I have heard that it is better to listen to the audio version. Short narrates it himself so you get to hear his impressions and weird voices. I might listen to it at some point to get the full effect but my imagination was quite good and I enjoyed the book nonetheless.

All in all this was a great read about a real, genuine, not on happy pills guy you helps us have great life lessons. He has a charmed but not over the top life, and really, this book helped me fall in love with Martin Short all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment